20 March 2008

Here's to a new blog.

I love fashion blogs. It's true. They give me inspiration, introduce me to new trends, models, designers and thrifting finds. I've never seen so many gorgeous people or photographs.

The problem with merely reading blogs, though, is that I never get around to trying anything in real life. I go thrifting, and fail miserably. I think about putting together a new outfit or not wearing jeans every day (which'll have to change, since my current pair is growing holes rapidly), but I never actually wear something new. I plan on breaking out the sewing machine, but it never gets done.

This is not greatly surprising, as I'm a thinker. I live in my head. Always have, always will. The big problem is that knowing that Ray-Bans are coming back into style, or that heeled oxford booties are all the rage doesn't make any difference unless I translate it to the real world.

So I figured I'd resume blogging, this time in a winning way, instead of the fail that was my last blog. By thinking "out loud," maybe I can make myself translate some of my ideas into reality. Along the way, I can hone my eye for style and discover what I like myself, instead of just what looks good in abstract.

The name for this blog comes from George Washington's book on etiquette,"Play not the Peacock, looking every where about you, to See if you be well Deck't, if your Shoes fit well if your Stokings Sit neatly, and Cloths handsomely." Although seemingly outdated, this advice holds for today. I'll think about my appearance to no end, but once I'm out of the house, I don't want to have to keep preening.

It's going to be an interesting journey, and a fun one.

Cheers!
æ

No comments: