27 March 2008

failstravaganza!

I just spent an hour scraping prehistoric amber off my countertops.

Wait, let me rewind.

For a while now I've been wanting to try a hair removal technique known as sugaring, because I am lazy, hate shaving, and am too cheap to go to a salon for waxing. I heard about sugaring at the Crafster Forums, and since most of the people on it had a good experience, I thought I'd give it a go too.

I got myself set up. Sugar, check. Lemon, check. Water, check. Put everything into a little pot on the stove, boil the boogers out of it, stir down the bubbles, check.

Then things started to go wrong. The directions said something about boiling 'til "dark brown." So I boiled until dark brown, which on retrospect, I should've boiled until medium-to-light amber. Oops.

Since I'm at my parent's house, I tried to dig up a plastic container they wouldn't miss when I left, so I found a flimsy plastic take-out container, which was mistake number two. Hot sugar and flimsy plastic? They do not mix. I found that out as I was pouring the hot sugar out of the pan, then watching the plastic sides slowly melt away as a giant wave of hot sugar poured across the counter.

So I tried scraping most of the sugar into another container, which worked fairly well. Went upstairs with my cloth strips and a spreading knife, but when I tried to spread out the sugar, I discovered the meaning of the "hard ball" stage of candy. The sugar wouldn't stick. At all. To anything, least of all leg hair.

If there had been a bug around, I might have capitalized on my newfound amber and pawned my "discovery" off on some unsuspecting ebay-ing anthropologist. But alas, it snowed this morning, so insects are nowhere to be found.

I stick my knife back in the tub of amber sugar and headed downstairs to hopefully rescue some of my mess. The pools of sugar had by then hardened into little warm puddles, so I grabbed a flat screwdriver and scraped them off the counter, spraying little shards of sugar all over the kitchen. It took a while, needless to say. And fortunately, sugar is water soluble, so I soaked off anything I couldn't scrape off.

I quite enjoyed this failstravaganza, so it won't deter me from trying in the future. Oh no, I'll be back.

My only regret is not having an insect around.

Photo credit to Catmadogma.

No comments: